Amniocentesis is a prenatal diagnostic procedure that can detect (or more often exclude) the presence of certain abnormalities of the chromosomes in the cells of the fetus that you are carrying.This test is performed during the second trimester of pregnancy (between the 15th and the 22nd week), usually at the 16th week.Amniocentesis takes place in two stages:
- Abdominal puncture to take a sample of amniotic fluid;
- Laboratory culture of the fetal cells present in the amniotic fluid sample, followed by chromosome analysis.
Culture and analysis times are 7 to 12 days. Numerous studies have shown that ultrasound-guided amniocentesis is safe for the mother and baby. However, there is a 0.5% to 1% risk of maternal infection and miscarriage (1).
Who is amniocentesis intended for (1) *
- Any pregnant woman who will be > 40 years of age or older on the expected date of delivery.
- Any woman whose results of the prenatal screening test (blood tests) or fetal DNA analysis indicate a high risk.
- Any woman whose ultrasound results indicate the possibility of a fetal chromosomal abnormality.
- Any woman whose family history, or that of her partner, presents one or more cases of chromosomal abnormalities or genetic diseases at high risk of recurrence.
Note that a medical recommendation is always required. Check with your doctor to find out if amniocentesis is right for you.
What is the Amnio-Express® test?
FISH * technology (using fluorescent probes for each of the chromosomes analyzed) provides greater than 99.8% accuracy for the chromosomes: X, Y, 21, 18 and 13. Such a fast response is possible (48 hours buisness days) since the culture fetal cells is not required for this type of analysis.
To take advantage of the Amnio-Express® test, you must tell the doctor who will perform your amniocentesis that you want the Amnio-Express® test. After being informed, the doctor will take, without danger for your pregnancy, an additional 5 ml of amniotic fluid when taking amniocentesis. If you have chosen to do your amniocentesis elsewhere than at Procrea Fertility, you can still benefit from the Amnio-Express® test by sending us some of your amniotic fluid.
Talk to your doctor about whether the Amnio-Express® test is right for you. The Amnio-Express® test is only available at the Procrea Fertility Montreal Clinic (Mount Royal).
*FISH: Identification of the most frequent digital chromosome abnormalities by fluorescent technique.
Amnio-Express® is a registered trademark of OPMEDIC GROUP INC.
(1) SOGC Clinical Guidelines, 2015, number 326:Interventions and techniques for prenatal diagnosis aimed at obtaining a fetal sample for diagnostic purposes: Risks and benefits for the mother and the fetus
Undergoing fertility treatments was unknown but the staff took the time to explain it, making it understandable for us.
The doctor had excellent bedside manner , and the nursing staff took the time to explain everything to me (especially the NIFTY test) , clearly enough that I could understand - it was a surprise experience that they made wonderful.